Presenters Peter McMahon (space journalist and children’s author) and Rick Stankiewicz (accomplished astrophotographer and amateur astronomer) deliver exclusive, custom-tailored shows under the dome not available at any other facility in Canada, based on decades of experience presenting astronomy programming to large audiences across the country.
Available shows include general overviews of such topics as seasons, constellations, tides, the Solar System, satellites, Earth/Moon/Sun, and ones with a focus on specific timely space topics such as the Northern Lights/2013 Solar Maximum, Chris Hadfield’s mission to the International Space Station, and “edutainment”-style offerings such as “Celebrity Tour of the Night Sky” and “2012: A Space Entrée”
Grade 1: Daily and season changes. The Sun is the the principle source of energy for the Earth.
Grade 6: Space exploration and the Solar System (planets, moons, asteroids, comets), Earth’s relationship with the Moon, the rest of the solar system and/or the universe, Canada’s contribution to space in the past, present, and future!
Grade 9: Formation, evolution, structure and nature of the Solar System and the Universe. The appearance and motion of visible celestial objects. Astronomical Units and light years. Space exploration and Canadian contributions to efforts in space-based science experiments, astronomy, cosmology, and aerospace.
Grade 12: Origin and evolution of the Solar System. Mass, size, rotation, composition and magnetic field of the various planets and moons. Near-Earth space investigations including spacecraft (e.g. International Space Station), and humanity’s negative effects (space debris and pollution of the electromagnetic spectrum, etc…)
- Educators, groups, institutions and individuals interested in booking this portable facility can call or email:
firstname.lastname@example.org / 905.885.9471
- More information on Deep Space / Deep Sky
- More information on the Solar System
- Mars landing game (and other Mars games) Try for yourself!
- NASA’s virtual Space Station spacewalk game (play online or download)
- More on the Northern Lights/Aurora Borealis and the Solar Maximum (more videos)
- Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield’s mission to command the International Space Station (more on the ISS itself)
- How to see the International Space Station from Southern Ontario
- More of Canada’s contribution to space
- The Peterborough Astronomical Association
- The Buckhorn Observatory
- Sky News: The Canadian Magazine of Astronomy & Stargazing (Peter’s column appears in each issue and Rick’s photos often appear)